the daily procrastinator

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

It's Over

Well, I guess I learned the lesson that it's not enough to just have love. You have to have enough love to make your product good. The experience of performing at a wedding (especially a 4 hour wedding), was one of my more difficult moments onstage. I think it went okay, I think some of it was good, but I know it could have been a lot better. But then, it seemed to me that everybody kind of felt like that. I talked to people who gave speeches and said, "I shouldn't have said this," or "I should have done that". I guess in a situation like that, when there are so many emotions flying around and so much pressure to do or say something that's both meaningful and entertaining, a lot of us will never feel like we got it quite right. We can't possibly express everything we mean to. The people who did that the best last night were the ones who couldn't make it through their speeches without crying. Tears say more than any amount of words. But even the people who cried were probably embarassed about crying. You can't win at a wedding. Unless you're the bride. Or groom. But then they are so exhausted, emotionally, physically, they can't really enjoy the experience. At least that's my perception. I was so freakin' tired, I can't imagine the experience of going through the emotional rollercoaster, performing an ancient rite that will change your lives forever, and then sitting on uncomfortable chairs and trying to watch a show. My mind would not be on what I was seeing. It'd be going, "What just happened tonight? What was that?" Then it'd be going, "Sleep. Let me sleeeeep." Not the best state of mind to see a wacky show, even if it's in your honour.

I don't know. Weddings are weird. It was good, don't get me wrong. I liked all the speeches, and all the performances. But there was an odd balance of ritual and theatre, and nobody I think was really certain which side of the line they should be on. If that makes sense.

But you know what? It was not boring. I'd rather be at that wedding any time than at one where solemnity and ceremony rule the day, and everything is done by the rule book. That wedding was honest and true and real, and all of us breathed through it together, the good, the bad, the awkward, the beautiful, the joy and the sorrow. If that's not the way to send two people into their marriage, I don't know what is.

May we all be the guardians of the truth for Bruce and Rebecca for all time. And may they do the same for each other.

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home