the daily procrastinator

Monday, April 24, 2006

Pre-Wedding Jitters (of a guest)

It's 1:30 am. I should be resting up for tomorrow, or at least learning my lines for Bruce and Rebecca's wedding show. Lindsey and I are performing a scene from Twelfth Night - the play, according to Jamie, they were doing when they started dating... or just before they starting dating... not too sure. Anyway, even if the play had nothing to do with them, the scene is pretty perfect for their wedding. It's between Viola and Feste, the Clown - guess which one Bruce played. There's all kinds of great lines in there, like "she will keep no fool, sir, till she be married." Hah? Hah?

We have to try and do it "in clown" cause that's what everyone thinks we're doing at this thing. We're the clown portion of the show. I'm totally nervous about it. We're doing clown versions of them - I'm playing Bruce, Lindsey's Rebecca. I have to get a mustache tomorrow. Talk about last minute. But then, Rebecca wrote that she hadn't even written her vows as of yesterday, so I guess I'm not doing too badly. I guess the thing to remember is that it's not about me, it's a show for them. But that makes me wonder, if it's enough about them? I hope so. What type of material is appropriate for a wedding show? I've only ever been to regular weddings.

Anyway, I was reading Rebecca's blog, which inspired me a lot. I'm amazed by her ability to write about anything and everything that's on her mind, and then send it out there - judging by some of the comments she gets, a lot of people that read her blog have never even met her - and yet they read about her life and take their own ideas and thoughts away - like I'm doing right now.

I've never known Rebecca very well, I'm more from the Bruce clan, so it's interesting on the eve of their wedding to find out so much about the woman I've always thought was smart, strong and talented, but known very little else of her. I've always been in awe of Bruce's wisdom and bravery, and now I'm really in awe of both of them. They are two incredible people and they deserve each other.

Why am I writing this? I won't be speaking at the wedding tomorrow, I will be expressing my love to them through Shakespeare's words, not my own. I will be attempting, once again, to use my chosen art form to try and convey something beyond what I could ever define in a mere speech. But this time the stakes are so much higher. There will be no critics in the audience, no-one from an awards nominating committee... it doesn't matter whether my work is "good". All that is required of me, or of any of us performing tomorrow, is that our work be generated through the purest of motives - love. If we succeed at love tomorrow, we will have done all we can.

Happy Day, B & R.

Love, Kate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home